[openbox] Persisting a desktop terminal window across ToggleShowDesktop with xdotool - interesting failure mode

Lukasz Grabowski graboluk at gmail.com
Sun Mar 1 10:58:29 EST 2015

> To save the other 0.2 people who might try to do this in future several
> hours/days of their lives, I'll summarize: don't bother with a kludge and do
> it properly, namely by patching whatever it is you're trying to desktopify.

I don't have anything of substance to say in this thread, but I spent
some hours/days of my live trying to do it (via xdotool/wmctrl) some
months ago, and I gave up in the end. So I just wanted to add my 2c
that it would be awesome to have a suitable patch in openbox which
allows to have a (multi-tabbed) transparent terminal on the desktop
(preferably in such a way that ShowDesktop gives focus to the
terminal).

Best, L