[openbox] openbox-menu

Frank McCormick beacon at videotron.ca
Mon Jul 27 10:05:44 EDT 2015

On 27/07/15 05:48 AM, TT wrote:
> On 07/27/2015 01:39 AM, Frank McCormick wrote:
>>
>>    Well offering more options would be nice...people wouldn't have to
>> take advantage of them but they'd be those for those who want more
>> eye-candy
>>

> it creates more code that just sits there in your computers memory.
> imho, openbox is designed minimalistically & lightweight /on purpose/.
> but there's dozens of other windowmanagers that offer more eye-candy.

   Yes, I know that. I have several installed on this Debian Sid
installation. I used OpenBox a couple of years ago...then tried it again
recently. I guess I was too used to DE's like XFCE which I've
been using lately.

> by the way, what are you looking for specifically?
> have you already tried to explore the possibilities of theming?

    Yes I have modified a couple of themes by hand...I don't really
trust obtheme as it has mangled themes on me in the past. Might have
been my problem. I don't like the way it re-saves themes after
changing...they aren't laid out the way they are in the GUI. Again
maybe just me.

>>   The buttons are an annoyance for me. Too small and only xbm's are
>> acceptable.
>>
> obviously you can make bigger button icons. duh.

    Yes I know.
> iirc, they grow automatically when you increase window title height,
> either by increasing font size or adding padding.
> .xbm is a /very simple /format for b/w graphics. there's nothing wrong
> with it, you can edit them in gimp, or even with a text editor.

    Maybe too simple for me...beyond lines and dashes and dots there's
not much you can do with them. I know, simple for some is better.

Thanks