[openbox] Quake-like-console configuration: problem with ForEach action

Mikael Magnusson mikachu at gmail.com
Fri Jan 2 20:02:28 EST 2015

On Fri, Jan 2, 2015 at 11:02 PM, Martin Jiřička <mjiricka at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Your snippet works perfectly for me. Do you actually have a version
>> that supports the ForEach action? It requires 3.6 which is not yet
>> released. So the good news is the documentation is correct :).
>
> Oh, I have got 3.5.2, which is also available in Downloads. (But I
> installed it from ArchLinux official repo).
>
> Which snippet works: the first one with ForEach or the second one with
> If I called "buggy"?

The snippet I quoted when I replied is the one that works for me. As
Dana said the query thing is only in 3.6 as well, so 3.5.2 will just
see an If action with an empty set of conditions which is presumably
always true.

> And is the ForEach loop designed to do what I intend to do with it,
> i.e. to find the quake terminal, no matter which window is currently
> focused?

Yes, it worked fine, the terminal moved between the current desktop
and desktop 10. ForEach is not specifically designed for this use
case, but rather to be as general as possible. Eg, if you had two
terminals they would both move in this way. (This is what the Stop
action is somewhat for). I use it for example for moving every window
21 pixels up and 1 to the left (useful after openbox crashes, which
does happen sometimes during development), resizing all gimp image
windows to a specific size, etc.

Feel free to try the work branch from my git repo, we're more or less
ready to release an -rc from it, we've just been lazy.

--
Mikael Magnusson