[openbox] ToggleShowDesktop hides omnipresent windows

Ian Zimmerman itz at buug.org
Wed Apr 22 17:11:19 EDT 2015

On Wed, 22 Apr 2015 11:48:51 -0700,
Dana Jansens <danakj at orodu.net> wrote:

Ian> Fine.  But playing with ToggleShowDesktop and trying to make it do what
Ian> I want, I see there must be some deeper misunderstanding on my part.
Ian> What is ToggleShowDesktop supposed to be good for, in the big picture?

Dana> It's an implementation of SHOWING_DESKTOP from the spec, which says it's to
Dana> hide all your windows and focus the desktop.

I already knew that ;-)  I mean, why do people want to do it?

What I was trying to do was to temporarily hide all my windows on one
virtual desktop, perform a short but screen-hungry task, and then
restore all the hidden windows.  I found that ToggleShowDesktop wasn't
useful for this purpose, because despite its name it doesn't restore the
windows, I had to restore them one by one.

I guess this might be because "if no windows have become visible yet"
(from the doc) was false.  But if not this use case, what?