[openbox] Full screen windows auto raise using sloppy focus

Mikael Magnusson mikachu at gmail.com
Sun Oct 12 10:52:21 EDT 2014

On Sun, Oct 12, 2014 at 2:20 PM, Walter Alejandro Iglesias
<eloi at roquesor.com> wrote:
>> > On Sun, Oct 12, 2014 at 01:17:29AM +0200, Mikael Magnusson wrote:
>> > A title bar in a maximized xterm doesn't bother.  The problem is that
>> > solution isn't useful with i.e. mplayer.
>>
>> http://openbox.org/wiki/Help:Actions#ToggleDecorations
>
> I'm lost.  Again, decorations don't bother me.

I interpreted your reply to mean that the unfullscreen and maximize
wouldn't work for mplayer because you don't want the title bar on it,
which the toggledecor/disabledecor actions would solve.

>> vi keys are useless if you're not using the qwert* layout. I trivially
>> know it won't make everyone happy since it won't make me happy :P.
>
> Well that's a point.  I've never thought about it, how do those that
> don't use the querty layout manage in unix userland?  What do you you
> use in your shell?  Arrows and Del keys?  What text editor do you use?
> What keys do you use to navigate ncurses interfaces?  Anyway, in menu
> openbox case (and fluxbox) you're condemned to move your hand out of the
> keyboard to reach arrow keys.  Why to make others suffer your fate? :-)

Vim allows you to rebind keys, and ctrl-c isn't really a unix thing
anyway. ctrl/alt-[uyk] are all still reachable with one hand, as are
ctrl-[ae]. ctrl-b isn't, but that one's already uncomfortable on
qwerty.

In my shell I use alt-[chtn] (ijkl in qwerty) as arrow key analogues.

Actually I don't think changing the keybinds dynamically for menus
would be that much work, the code is pretty straightforward iirc, I'm
just lazy. ;)

Assuming we do allow people to customize the bindings, it doesn't
necessarily mean they'll rebind it to alphanumeric keys, so disabling
accelerators should be a separate option. Thinking about it a bit
more, we don't need to disable them. Even if you use hjkl for
movement, we can allow shift-letter to activate the accelerator (or
any other modkey). So we could have a <acceleratorKey> which defaults
to being empty (current behaviour), and then a bunch of <moveUpKey>,
<acceptEntryKey> etc. (which could also accept modkeys if you prefer
to leave accelerators unshifted.) Does anyone see any problems with
this scheme? (Note that ctrl is already taken, it means to activate an
entry and leave the menu open.) (Would anyone want to customize this
as well?)

If anyone wants to have a go, look at event_handle_menu_input in
event.c, and add a bunch of options in config.c in the <menu> section
or <keyboard> section, not sure which makes more sense right now. Eg,
the keepMenuOpenKey (ctrl) applies to mouse events as well.

--
Mikael Magnusson