[openbox] make the root-menu appear at a fixed location when opening it with a keyboard shortcut, possible?

Micha maria.huana at gmx.de
Fri Oct 10 14:38:43 EDT 2014

Am 06.10.2014 20:42, schrieb Mikael Magnusson:
> On 6 October 2014 15:03, Micha <maria.huana at gmx.de> wrote:
>> Nice, that you have such a high opinion of us !
> Can't blame me for having some small hope. Anyway, I realized that
> although it is very simple to add a simple option to just use an
> absolute number, it was a bit more work to use the existing code that
> allows you to say things like 2/3 and -500 to put stuff at 2/3rds of
> the specified desktop, aligned from the right edge on so on, so I took
> pity on you guys and implemented it.
>
> http://comm.it.cx/cgit/openbox/log/?h=work top six commits here, or
> squashed into a single patch here,
> http://comm.it.cx/cgit/openbox/patch/?id=8124401
>
> I've only tested this lightly, so let me know if something breaks. The
> specified position will not take effect for mouse binds, and will not
> take effect if the menu shown is client-menu (it always shows up under
> the titlebar of the window it belongs to).

Not my topic here, but I think, someone should acknowledge your patch
at least, well done !

Though not obvious, but there are situations, where placing a menu e.g. at
the center can become handy.
When you watch fullscreen videos, or you are working inside a window, maybe
you shove the mouse pointer out of your view.
If you now call a menu by shortcut, you first have to search around the
screen
edges, to find the menu.  Here a fixed shortcut-menu position is useful.

Frankly, I've not tested the patch, I don't even know, which is the
current OB version.

Keep on with your great work,

Micha