[openbox] make the root-menu appear at a fixed location when opening it with a keyboard shortcut, possible?

TT turkuting at gmail.com
Mon Oct 6 01:43:55 EDT 2014

Mikael Magnusson wrote:
> On 3 October 2014 22:58, Micha <maria.huana at gmx.de> wrote:
>> Hi folks !
>> I don't know, how to step into an active subject, hope this will appear
>> where it belongs to.:-[
>> When I first read the posts of this topic, I wouldn't believe, that there is
>> any problem achieving such behaviour.
>> But then I realized, there are two different actions involved:
>> 1.: Setting the pointer ( with Xdotool )
>> 2.: Calling the root-menu
> You guys know openbox is open source right? There's no need for these
> awful hacks proliferating, you can just add a parameter to the
> showmenu action.
You mean like this? =>
       <mousebind action="Press" button="Right">
         <action name="ShowMenu">
           <menu>root-menu</menu>
           <position force="yes">
             <x>100</x>
             <y>100</y>
           </position>
         </action>
       </mousebind>
For a moment i thought, wow, could it be that simple...
but unfortunately it doesn't work that way.
the actual current position of the mouse pointer takes precedence.

but in a way i agree --
why does one need to create hacks to have the root menu at a certain
position?
  -- i think this is rather a case of adjusting your habits.