[openbox] make the root-menu appear at a fixed location when opening it with a keyboard shortcut, possible?

Micha maria.huana at gmx.de
Fri Oct 3 16:58:23 EDT 2014

Hi folks !
I don't know, how to step into an active subject, hope this will appear
where it belongs to.:-[
When I first read the posts of this topic, I wouldn't believe, that there is
any problem achieving such behaviour.
But then I realized, there are two different actions involved:
1.: Setting the pointer ( with Xdotool )
2.: Calling the root-menu

In the OB rc.xml, this would need 2 action-tags( "execute" and "show-menu" )
performed inside one keybind-tag.
I've tested it, and both actions were working, but not together !
The pointer was placed correctly, but the root-menu was displayed at the
former pointer coordinates.
Maybe, putting the xdotool-call into a Bash script, with a little sleep
at the
end might help to place the menu at the new coordinates.

But I ended with this weird workaround:
I just created one shortcut for the moderated menu positioning, and a
second one for the normal menu-call.
The part of the rc.xml looks like that :
     <keybind key="W-r">
       <action name="ShowMenu">
         <menu>root-menu</menu>
       </action>
     </keybind>
     <keybind key="W-j">
       <action name="Execute">
         <execute>xdotool mousemove 200 100 key super+r</execute>
       </action>
     </keybind>
With W(indows)-r, the root-menu is placed at the current pointer, and with
W-j, Xdotool is called, which first places the pointer at the new position,
and then simulates the W-r shortcut, which places the root-menu at the
pointer position.

Hope this helps,

Micha