[openbox] Disabling actions for certain windows matched by their name (or otherwise)

Aleksandrina Nikolova infinite.craziness at gmail.com
Wed May 28 13:38:28 EDT 2014

Greetings! I recently installed Openbox for the first time and am in the
process of configuring it. I run it on its own without any DE. I am trying
to prevent certain windows (matched by name or whatever) from closing,
minimizing, resizing, etc via the keybindings (Alt+F4, etc). I couldn't
figure out a way to use such conditional statements in the keybindings
section; the only example of such I have seen is of the form "if window is
shaded or minimized or...", not "if window name is...". I tried doing this
with xprop by running:

xprop -id <win-id> -format _NET_WM_ALLOWED_ACTIONS 32a -set
_NET_WM_ALLOWED_ACTIONS "_NET_WM_ACTION_BELOW"

to only allow these windows to be placed below others, but openbox seems to
ignore this completely. Furthermore, when I close the window and reopen it,
it emerges with the same id as before, but my changes are reset to their
default values (that allow all actions for this window). I also tried
removing the property WM_PROTOCOLS using xprop again, that is supposed to
tell openbox not to manage this window at all as far as I could understand.
Still no luck... Any ideas?
If it's of any importance, I start openbox with:

exec ck-launch-session dbus-launch --sh-syntax --exit-with-session
openbox-session