[openbox] Disabling certain keybindings, if a certain window/aaplication has focus

meino.cramer at gmx.de meino.cramer at gmx.de
Sun Mar 23 12:46:22 EDT 2014

Dana Jansens <danakj at orodu.net> [14-03-23 17:20]:
> On Sun, Mar 23, 2014 at 4:41 AM, <meino.cramer at gmx.de> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am using Blender a lot and Blender has so many functions
> > (especially when counting the addons additionally), that
> > nearly no keycombination is left unused for shortcuts/hotkeys.
> > Many keybindings can be configurated in Blender, but there
> > is a limit of speed increase when you start configuring
> > keybindings like LSHIFT+LALT+ALTGR+RSHIFT+F4 for something... ;)
> >
> > Keybindings of addons are often hardcoded into the addon itsself.
> >
> > To ease this situation I would like to disable some of openbox's
> > keybindings, when the window of Blender has focus, so Blender
> > get all this keycombinations.
> >
> > If another window gets focus, the original keybindings of openbox
> > should become active again.
> >
> > Wonderful plan ... but I have no idea how to accomplish that... ;)
> >
> > Would it be possible? And how?
> >

> This sounds like what you want, kinda. You could add a few keybinds inside
> the chroot that you want to keep.
>
> http://openbox.org/wiki/Help:Bindings#Key_quoting_with_Chroots

Hi Dana,

thank you for your help! :)

>From the explanation in the linked text I would expect, that after
CAQ all keypressed are passed untouched through openbox to the window
which has focus.

When I press CAQ a tiny extra """window""" pops up and displays "C-A-Q".
So I think, open box had understood the keys I pressed.

Unfortunately it does not works as I expected (which mostly means: My
expectations are wrongly designed ;))

For example: I start blender. In blender Alt Right Mouse botton
connects two material nodes.
In Openbox the same keycombo resizes the focussed window.

After blender runs I click it so it has focus.
I press "CAQ" (the tiny window pops up) and press RMB.
The material nodes remain untocuhed and the blender window
gets resized.

How can I fix either my expectation or my configuration, which
I copied 1:1 from the linked text?

Best regards,
mcc