[openbox] most aps ignore rc.xml

Anthony Thyssen A.Thyssen at griffith.edu.au
Sun Jan 12 20:56:14 EST 2014

On Sun, 12 Jan 2014 11:31:48 -0500
Jim Rees <rees at umich.edu> wrote:
| plmalternate plmalternate wrote:
|
|   Most of my aps ignore my ~/.config/openbox/rc.xml specifications for
|   window size and placement, despite "<position force="yes">". The only
|   ap I'm pretty sure is honoring them is Mirage, a picture viewer.
|
| This works for me. Two things look odd to me. One is your wildcard. Maybe
| openbox stops searching for app stanzas when it finds the first match? The
| other is that you are only giving the app name, which I think should work,
| but I always give the class too.
|
| Here's what I've got for firefox:
|
|     <application name="Navigator" class="Firefox">
|       <position force="yes">
| 	<x>8</x>
| 	<y>6</y>
|       </position>
|     </application>

You do need to ensure the application starts AFTER the window manager!!!
:-)

I usually don't rely on it. As while I like to position my windows on
login (I use a personal session script to do that), I generally don't
want specific positions for later windows of the appliactions.

The exception to this is a few special ones I want located on a specific
workspace. For example my music player, which I have special keyboard
keys to to control regardless of what workspace it is in.

The pet hate is most modern applications no long provide the standard
X window geometry command line options to position initial windows.

For example here is my scripted launcher for FireFox...

  ( firefox & ) &
  if id=`xwin_find 60 "Anthony .* Mozilla Firefox"`; then
    echo "Main firefox window found (id=$id)"
    # size, position, and iconify
    xwit -resize 1024 960 -move 330 70 -iconify -id $id
  else
    echo "ERROR: Firefox Default window NOT FOUND!"
  fi

The script "xwin_find" I wrote and is based on the standard x-window
utility "xwininfo".  You can get it from
  http://www.ict.griffith.edu.au/anthony/software/#xwin_find

"xwit" is a fairly common Window Helper application
(also look at "xdotool" and "wmctrl" for alternatives.
each has its own pluses/minuses/quirks.
See http://www.ict.griffith.edu.au/anthony/info/X/progs.summary

  Anthony Thyssen ( System Programmer )    <A.Thyssen at griffith.edu.au>