[openbox] Use of DISPLAY in menu commands

daryl at ci.com.au daryl at ci.com.au
Sun Feb 23 19:13:24 EST 2014

> daryl at ci.com.au wrote:
>   I wish to fire up a remote xterm on my local display through the openbox
>   menus. From a local xterm I can run:

>> rsh remhost xterm -display $DISPLAY

>   But when I put this in my menu.xml no xterm runs

>   		<item label="RemoteHost">
>   			<action name="Execute">
>   			  <command>
>   				  xterm -display $DISPLAY
>   			  </command>
>   			</action>
>   		</item>

> "-display $DISPLAY" is the default, you don't need to specify it. I suspect
> you want something else?

> I'm not sure how openbox executes commands, but it doesn't seem to do many
> of the usual shell expansions. Try this:

>   			  <command>
>   				  sh -c "xterm -display $DISPLAY"
>   			  </command>

OOPS, my appologies, the example I gave was not correct. I am trying to get
this working

   		<item label="RemoteHost">
   			<action name="Execute">
   			  <command>
   				  rsh remhost "xterm -display $DISPLAY"
   			  </command>
   			</action>
   		</item>

Where remhost is a different host on the same network. display needs to be
set so the remote xterm knows which X server to display the window.

--
Daryl Sayers                             Direct: +612 95525510
Bing Technologies                        Office: +612 95525500
Suite 54, 26-32 Pirrama Rd                email: daryl at ci.com.au
Pyrmont NSW 2009 Australia                  www: http://www.ci.com.au