[openbox] Use of DISPLAY in menu commands

daryl at ci.com.au daryl at ci.com.au
Thu Feb 20 22:17:24 EST 2014

I wish to fire up a remote xterm on my local display through the openbox
menus. From a local xterm I can run:

> rsh remhost xterm -display $DISPLAY

But when I put this in my menu.xml no xterm runs

		<item label="RemoteHost">
			<action name="Execute">
			  <command>
				  xterm -display $DISPLAY
			  </command>
			</action>
		</item>

In KDE one used to escape it like $$DISPLAY but this doesnt work. I did try
escaping with \ and other chars but no success.
If I change the command to hard code the display it works but this is not
acceptable as the display will change due to dhcp logging in on different
thin clients etc

PS: Yes I am aware of the risks of rsh and I know one can run a local xterm
	with 'xterm -e rsh remhost' but I need the xterm to be run on the remote
	host. I also have the same issue with emacs for X11 as well.

--
Daryl Sayers