[openbox] layer in rc.xml not working

David J. Biesack David.Biesack at sas.com
Wed Feb 5 09:15:22 EST 2014

Openbox 3.5.0.01 on Ubuntu 13.10 with KDE

I run a MS Windows 7 VM in VMware player (in VMware Unity mode).
I'm trying to configure OpenBox to keep MS Outlook reminder windows on top of other windows.

As per http://openbox.org/wiki/Help:Applications I'm using the window class
from obxprop:

    # obxprop _OB_APP_TYPE _OB_APP_TITLE _OB_APP_CLASS _OB_APP_NAME
    _OB_APP_TYPE(UTF8_STRING) = "normal"
    _OB_APP_TITLE(UTF8_STRING) = "1 Reminder(s) - [vml1599a]"
    _OB_APP_CLASS(UTF8_STRING) = "Microsoft Outlook"
    _OB_APP_NAME(UTF8_STRING) = "Microsoft Outlook.VMwareUnityWindow"

I have the following in my ~/.config/openbox/rc.xml

   <applications>
    <application title="*Reminder*" class="Microsoft Outlook">
      <decor>no</decor>
      <layer>above</layer>
      <focus>no</focus>
    </application>
    <application title="xclock">
      <decor>no</decor>
      <layer>above</layer>
    </application>
  </applications>

I've also tried just

    <application class="Microsoft Outlook">

but the Outlook Reminder windows do *not* layer on top of other normal windows,
whereas the layer config *does* work for xclock.
(I run `openbox --reconfigure' or restart openbox after editing rc.xml)

Why does Openbox not honor this layer setting for these Reminder windows?
Is this perhaps a problem with VMWare unity windows?

thanks,
djb

--
David J. Biesack | Principal API Architect, SAS | @davidbiesack | 919-531-7771 | www.sas.com