[openbox] NextWindow bar and gtk3 csd windows

Carlos Pita carlosjosepita at gmail.com
Thu Apr 17 11:24:58 EDT 2014

Hi all,

the new client side decorated windows [1] insanity in gtk 3.x (with x
>= 12 I believe) are pretty well supported by ob, at least given the
badass nature of these clients. But, putting aside the -imposed- need
of a compositor to avoid these shaped windows hurting the eye, I've
found one quirk: the NextWindow family of actions have always drawn a
pretty bar around the candidate window but now v.g. for gtk3 standard
dialogs (mischievously turned csd in order the screw up not to go
unnoticed) this bar will frame the client rectangle which is
noticeably far from the client rendered borders in case you're using a
compositor, because in this case the client itself reserves a good
deal of space to do its own shadowing (completely inconsistent with
the one provided by the compositor, btw).

I'm still not reporting this as a bug because I'm not sure whether
there is something sensible to be done or not (I tend to think there
isn't, besides groaning to the gnome3/gtk3 developers just to be
ignored).

Best regards
--
Carlos