[openbox] Openbox menu getting clobbered.

52midnight info at 52midnight.com
Fri Mar 29 21:59:44 EDT 2013

Hello Openbox

I've just switched to LXDE and am delighted with it. Have most things set
up as required with the troubling exception of the menu I've specified
being ignored at boot. Another is substituted, and I can't firgure out
where it's coming from. Here's my ~/.config/openbox/

> $ l1 ~/.config/openbox/
lxde-rc.xml
lxde-rc.xml.orig
menu.xml
menu.xml.orig

As you can see, I've been experimenting. I tried renaming lxde-rc.xml to
rc.xml and rebooted, but the system created a new default lxde-rc.xml and
my custom settings disappeared, so the file is obviously being read.
Here's my <menu> section within lxde-rc.xml:

   <menu>
     <!-- file>/usr/share/lxde/openbox/menu.xml</file -->
     <file>/home/guest/.config/openbox/menu.xml</file>
     <hideDelay>200</hideDelay>
     <middle>no</middle>
     <submenuShowDelay>100</submenuShowDelay>
     <applicationIcons>yes</applicationIcons>
     <manageDesktops>yes</manageDesktops>
   </menu>

When I invoke 'obmenu' it reads ~/.config/openbox/menu.xml so it seems
that the system is finding the menu somewhere else. New apps are
recognized and installed if they're XDG-compliant, but I need to add
others. Would someone be so kind as to explain what's happening here?

With thanks
52midnight.