[openbox] openbox 3.5 startup problem

R. Mattes rm at mh-freiburg.de
Wed Mar 13 11:12:36 EDT 2013

On Wed, 13 Mar 2013 10:16:58 -0400, Jim Rees wrote
> Fred wrote:
>
>   The ldd command showed two libraries that weren't found.  ldconfig
>   fixed the problem.
>   Thanks for the help!
>
> Glad that helped. Another possible solution is to put openbox in /usr
> instead of /usr/local. That's what I do.
>
> configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc

Bad idea! File system space under '/usr/...' is reseved for
your distribution/vendor. Those files might be updated/replaced/removed
anytime (during a software update for example).
Also, some package manages and security checkers get deeply confused
when the checksum of files they installed changed.
Put your self-installed software under '/usr/local/' and add
'/usr/local/lib' to the linkers path (most distributions have done
this already). It seems to be common practice nowadays to be able to
add customisations to a file in '/usr/local/ld.so.conf.d/'.

 HTH Ralf Mattes