[openbox] selecting on which randr screen a window opens

Robert Purcell robert at teamw.net
Tue Jun 25 11:49:30 EDT 2013

I remember trying to figure that out too but all I could come up with was
setting the primary monitor and using that. The number and arrangement of
monitors I have changes depending on my location so this wasn't a perfect
solution for me but might do what you need.

<placement>
     <policy>Smart</policy>
     <!-- 'Smart' or 'UnderMouse' -->
     <center>yes</center>
     <!-- whether to place windows in the center of the free area found or
            the top left corner -->
     <monitor>Primary</monitor>
     <!-- with Smart placement on a multi-monitor system, try to place new
windows
              on: 'Any' - any monitor, 'Mouse' - where the mouse is,
'Active' - where
              the active window is, 'Primary' - only on the primary monitor
-->
     <primaryMonitor>1</primaryMonitor>
     <!-- The monitor where Openbox should place popup dialogs such as the
              focus cycling popup, or the desktop switch popup.  It can be
an index
              from 1, specifying a particular monitor.  Or it can be one of
the
              following: 'Mouse' - where the mouse is, or
                         'Active' - where the active window is -->
</placement>