[openbox] Does Or Can Openbox Affect The Output of -- echo -e "a\nb\nc\nA\nB\nC" | sort

Anthony Thyssen A.Thyssen at griffith.edu.au
Sun Jun 16 23:08:20 EDT 2013

On Sun, 16 Jun 2013 16:02:58 -1000
Das <dasfox at gmail.com> wrote:
| Hi,
|
| I've noticed that while running Openbox as my standalone DE, then I can't
| sort bookmarks with lowercase letters in Firefox...
|
| Someone on a bug report I made for Firefox said it may be dependent on your
| locale's collating order. If you run this line in a console, what output do
| you get?
|
| echo -e "a\nb\nc\nA\nB\nC" | sort
|
| They said on their system it prints this;

| If I run echo -e "a\nb\nc\nA\nB\nC" | sort in Openbox I get this output;

| Is there something in Openbox, or by using Obconf that could cause this
| type of output?
|
| THANKS

I would not think this has anything to do with openbox.

It is purely with whatever is doing the sorting, and then should use the
LOCALE environment variable set when the program is run.

So is comes down to when and how you start openbox, and setting LOCALE
appropariatally at that point.

Try setting LOCALE in your .bashrc and .bash_profile  files in your home,
or however you are setting your environment.

For a private personal computer, you may like to try and set the computers
default LOCALE.  On my Fedora Machine that is "/etc/locale.conf"

  Anthony Thyssen ( System Programmer )    <A.Thyssen at griffith.edu.au>