[openbox] Fighting Gnome

Robbie Smith zoqaeski at gmail.com
Sat Jul 13 22:51:59 EDT 2013

On 13/07/13 04:49, Johan Vromans wrote:
> Robbie Smith <zoqaeski at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I use `systemd --user` as my session manager, so everything in
>> ~/.xinitrc is commented out, ~/.xprofile starts iBus (though that
>> could be put in ~/.config/openbox/environment), and my autostart file
>> starts systemd, sets my keyboard layout (xkb), starts the screensaver
>> daemon and orage for a calendar. It’s very tidy and easy to control.
>
> This sounds attractive, but I cannot quite work out how you did it.
>
>   - xinit starts X and runs ~/.xinitrc
>
>   - ~/.xinitrc is empty (commented out)
>
>   - ???
>
> Assuming you run openbox from ~/.xinitrc:
>
>   - OpenBox is started
>
>   - OpenBox runs autostart
>
>   - autostart runs systemd --user
>
>   - ???
>
> Please help.
>
> -- Johan

It’s pretty involved to set up, but I wrote a “tutorial” here:
https://github.com/zoqaeski/systemd-user-units

You’ll (probably) need the latest and most up-to-date versions of
everything (I don’t know what version of systemd et al your distribution
ships; I use Arch Linux) or the features might not be available. Even on
the current stable release all this stuff is considered somewhat
experimental, i.e. it works and probably won’t crash, but it’s not fully
supported and there’s next to no documentation.

I use a login manager (lightdm). While it is theoretically possible to
start X itself with your own systemd session, I’ve never bothered with
it. Lightdm runs a few system-wide xinitrc scripts, starts Openbox, and
then Openbox’s autostart starts `systemd --user`. There are a few
userland daemons I have which systemd cannot control properly,
Pulseaudio being one of them.

Your mileage may vary.