[openbox] Startup notification.

Dana Jansens dana at orodu.net
Thu Jul 11 18:28:27 EDT 2013

On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 2:20 PM, Andrej N. Gritsenko <andrej at rep.kiev.ua>wrote:

>     Hello!
>
> Dana Jansens has written on Thursday, 11 July, at  8:35:
> >On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 2:26 AM, Andrej N. Gritsenko <andrej at rep.kiev.ua
> >wrote:
> >>     well, there may be some misunderstanding there. The Openbox changes
> >> the cursor for xkill if xkill is set in Openbox menu or shortcut but it
> >> doesn't change it for programs that have no own cursor, the cursor stays
> >> "arrow" still instead of "busy" which I believe it have to become until
> >> startup is complete. But I believe xkill has own cursor setup and it
> does
> >> not depend on which setting I have in Openbox menu or shortcut for it.
>
> >That is true. It's possible openbox was not build with startup
> notification
> >support, as that's optional at compile time. If all is working as
> intended,
> >the cursor will change until the application tells openbox it has started.
>
>     As much I can tell, GDK "tells" that when realizes a window, so for
> GTK+ applications it should be done when first window of application is
> shown.

Sounds right.

> >Some apps don't support this, but then the cursor should stay in a "busy"
> >state until it times out, rather than staying as an arrow.
>
>     May it be that support is broken in official latest release tarball
> (3.5.0 it is) and fixed only in GIT sources? Because I'm using package in

Not AFAIK.

> ubuntu which is based on official release with very few (mostly cosmetic)
> patches. And I know, that release is 2 years old, but there was no newer
> one therefore no upgrade available and I never wish to use 'make install'
> to install files. :)
> Also my current Openbox binary shows me:
>
> andrej:~> readelf -s /usr/bin/openbox|grep sn_launcher_context_new
>     42: 00000000     0 FUNC    GLOBAL DEFAULT  UND sn_launcher_context_new
>
> which means libstartup_notification is in use by openbox executable.

It could be a matter of cursor libraries, as the openbox busy cursor is the
"pointer with stopwatch" kind of cursor, not the "busy waiting" cursor.
Otherwise, I'm not sure I guess. Running xterm with startupnotification
enabled should leave an environment variable in the application that would
prove openbox is doing *something*.

Unfortunately we don't have debug logging in the startup notify code..