[openbox] Startup notification.

Andrej N. Gritsenko andrej at rep.kiev.ua
Thu Jul 11 17:20:49 EDT 2013

    Hello!

Dana Jansens has written on Thursday, 11 July, at  8:35:
>On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 2:26 AM, Andrej N. Gritsenko <andrej at rep.kiev.ua>wrote:
>>     well, there may be some misunderstanding there. The Openbox changes
>> the cursor for xkill if xkill is set in Openbox menu or shortcut but it
>> doesn't change it for programs that have no own cursor, the cursor stays
>> "arrow" still instead of "busy" which I believe it have to become until
>> startup is complete. But I believe xkill has own cursor setup and it does
>> not depend on which setting I have in Openbox menu or shortcut for it.

>That is true. It's possible openbox was not build with startup notification
>support, as that's optional at compile time. If all is working as intended,
>the cursor will change until the application tells openbox it has started.

    As much I can tell, GDK "tells" that when realizes a window, so for
GTK+ applications it should be done when first window of application is
shown.

>Some apps don't support this, but then the cursor should stay in a "busy"
>state until it times out, rather than staying as an arrow.

    May it be that support is broken in official latest release tarball
(3.5.0 it is) and fixed only in GIT sources? Because I'm using package in
ubuntu which is based on official release with very few (mostly cosmetic)
patches. And I know, that release is 2 years old, but there was no newer
one therefore no upgrade available and I never wish to use 'make install'
to install files. :)
Also my current Openbox binary shows me:

andrej:~> readelf -s /usr/bin/openbox|grep sn_launcher_context_new
    42: 00000000     0 FUNC    GLOBAL DEFAULT  UND sn_launcher_context_new

which means libstartup_notification is in use by openbox executable.

    Cheers!
    Andriy.