[openbox] Startup notification.

Dana Jansens dana at orodu.net
Thu Jul 11 11:35:03 EDT 2013

On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 2:26 AM, Andrej N. Gritsenko <andrej at rep.kiev.ua>wrote:

>     Hello!
>
> Das has written on Wednesday, 10 July, at 17:00:
> >Ahhh
>
> >Now that I think back, if you are just using the standard X11 mouse cursor
> >I don't think it moves, I'm pretty sure you need to get some fancy
> animated
> >mouse cursors then it's going to spin around or rotate.
>
>     Well, I'm not using default X cursor. Usually I use either DMZ or
> Oxygen theme. Both those themes are animated and I see those animations
> when I load a folder in pcmanfm. But I never got "busy" cursor when I
> start some program with startup notification enabled. :(
>
> >So do this for a test, I'm personally using the Ecliz Mouse Cursors you
> can
> >download here;
>
> >http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Ecliz?content=110340  (Click the
> >first download link; (Ecliz Cursors)
>
> >I use LXAppearance 0.5.2 which changes many things for theming besides the
> >mouse cursorm quite nice if you don't have it.
>
>     Exactly what I use to tune the look and feel.
>
> >If you want to load them the manual method you'll need to place them in
> >your .Xdefaults which I believe is like this; (Just uncomment the one you
> >want to use)
>
> ># Change Xterm Icon
>
> >#Xcursor.theme:Ecliz
> >#Xcursor.theme:Ecliz-cyan
> >#Xcursor.theme:Ecliz-green
> >#Xcursor.theme:Ecliz-orange
> >#Xcursor.theme:Ecliz-red
> >#Xcursor.theme:Ecliz-yellow
>
> >Using the Ecliz mouse cursors my cursor spins around...
>
> >Let me know...
>
>     well, there may be some misunderstanding there. The Openbox changes
> the cursor for xkill if xkill is set in Openbox menu or shortcut but it
> doesn't change it for programs that have no own cursor, the cursor stays
> "arrow" still instead of "busy" which I believe it have to become until
> startup is complete. But I believe xkill has own cursor setup and it does
> not depend on which setting I have in Openbox menu or shortcut for it.

That is true. It's possible openbox was not build with startup notification
support, as that's optional at compile time. If all is working as intended,
the cursor will change until the application tells openbox it has started.
Some apps don't support this, but then the cursor should stay in a "busy"
state until it times out, rather than staying as an arrow.