[openbox] Iconic autostart

Anthony Thyssen A.Thyssen at griffith.edu.au
Sun Jul 7 23:47:30 EDT 2013

On Mon, 8 Jul 2013 05:06:06 +0200
meino.cramer at gmx.de wrote:
| Hi,
|
| I want to start a gui based program via autostart.sh.
|
| The program should start iconic (that is: program
| is started but not shown. It only appears in the task bar).
|
| But when I start the program via menu.xml, it should be
| shown as a gui.
|
| Where do I have to define what to acchieve this?
|
| Thank you very much in advance for any help!
| Best regards,
| mcc

I thought is was a sad day when developers took away the standard X
window options such as -geometry and -iconic.  Just because they think
they know what users want doesn't mean they do know what users want!

Start the application, then do a search for its window, and use
xwit  (or xdotool, or other script window controler) to iconize it!

I have a script "xwin_find" that looks for the window and returns
its ID.
   http://www.ict.griffith.edu.au/anthony/software/#xwin_find

I then use a script like this (for firefox) to launch and fix the
window as I want it.

if cmd_found firefox; then
  ( firefox -geometry 960x960+330+70 & ) &
  if id=`xwin_find 60 ".* Mozilla Firefox"`; then
    echo "Main firefox window found (id=$id)"
    # size, position, and iconify
    xwit -resize 960 960 -move 330 70 -iconify -id $id
  else
    echo "ERROR: Firefox Default window NOT FOUND!"
  fi
fi

  Anthony Thyssen ( System Programmer )    <A.Thyssen at griffith.edu.au>