[openbox] question on window size

Fred fred at blakemfg.com
Sun Feb 24 07:36:42 EST 2013

On 02/23/2013 09:03 PM, Ian Zimmerman wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Feb 2013 16:01:32 -0700
> Fred<fred at blakemfg.com>  wrote:
>
> Fred>  Hello, There has been some progress!  I tried running
> Fred>  openbox-session instead of openbox but had some problems so I
> Fred>  restored openbox in .xsession. The windows now have resistance at
> Fred>  the monitor edge and when windows overlap.  This is programmable
> Fred>  in rc.xml so we can say openbox knows what size the monitor is and
> Fred>  the problem is in the openbox routines that decide where to park a
> Fred>  minimized icon.  Any ideas?
>
> Does openbox make visual icons for minimized windows at all?  That would
> be news to me - I thought not, and I never missed them ;-)
>
> Fred>  How can one copy/paste in an xterm window under openbox?  The same
> Fred>  version of Debian with gnome on a PC allows copy/paste to xterm.
> Fred>  I am using Debian 6.0 on a Sun Ultra 5.
>
> Working fine here with:
>
>   [2+0]~$ cat /etc/debian_version
> 7.0
>   [3+0]~$ dpkg --status openbox
> Package: openbox
> Section: x11
> Installed-Size: 2929
> Maintainer: Debian rxvt-unicode Maintainers
>   <pkg-urxvt-maintainers at lists.alioth.debian.org>  Architecture: amd64
> Version: 9.15-2
>
> (the peculiar openbox package version is my backport of the leastoverlap
> patch, it should have no bearing on selections or clipboard)

If openbox doesn't make icons for minimized windows how would one find a
minimized window to continue using it?  ps -e | grep
minimized-application shows it is still running.

Are you saying I need to upgrade to Debian 7 to make openbox work correctly?
dpkg --status openbox says openbox is installed ok.  The version I am
using is 3.4.11.1-1 which is later than your version.  Are you saying I
need to install the earlier version instead?

The installed version of xterm is the same as the one on a PC running
the same version of Debian 6.0 under gnome which allows copy/paste.  How
do I get copy/paste under openbox?
Best regards,
Fred