[openbox] question on window size

Fred fred at blakemfg.com
Sat Feb 23 18:01:32 EST 2013

On 02/06/2013 11:23 PM, Das wrote:
> If you're running a fairly recent version of X you shouldn't have to
> adjust it, usually this section "Screen" with just the Depth is all
> that is needed below;
>
> Section "Screen"
>     Identifier     "Screen0"
>     Device         "Device0"
>     Monitor        "Monitor0"
>     DefaultDepth    24
>     SubSection     "Display"
>         Depth       24
>     EndSubSection
>
> Resoultion issues are also an Xorg issue not OpenBox, running OpenBox
> you have to do things by hand. :) So if what I suggest below also
> doesn't help, then go back to the Debian community somewhere to help
> you set up your xorg.conf
>
> I've found in the past just setting only a resoultion size does not
> help, typically the HorizSync and VertRefresh are needed, also having
> the correct BusID is helpful. Also if the text size is off, you could
> try adding in the DPI like this; Option "DPI" "96 x 96".
>
> See the sections below, where all of these are typically placed;
>
> Section "Monitor"
>     Identifier     "Monitor0"
>     VendorName     "Sony"
>     ModelName      "VPCEH"Option
>     HorizSync       28.0 - 33.0
>     VertRefresh     43.0 - 72.0
>     Option         "DPMS"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Device"
>     Option         "RegistryDwords" "EnableBrightnessControl=1"
>     Identifier     "Device0"
>     Driver         "nvidia"
>     VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
>     Option         "NoLogo"
>     Option         "DPI" "96 x 96"
>     BusID          "PCI:1:0:0"
> EndSection
>

> On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 5:15 PM, Jim Rees <rees at umich.edu
> <mailto:rees at umich.edu>> wrote:
>
>     Fred wrote:
>
>       I fixed the magnification problem with the xorg.conf file and the
>       monitor is now set to 1280x1024.  However, minimized icons are still
>       way off the screen and I can't get to them.  If I grab xterm with
>       the mouse pointer it will go off the screen on the bottom and right
>       side so the window is larger than the screen.  How can this be
>       fixed?

>     xrandr. Again, this is not an Openbox issue.
Hello,
There has been some progress!  I tried running openbox-session instead
of openbox but had some problems so I restored openbox in .xsession.
The windows now have resistance at the monitor edge and when windows
overlap.  This is programmable in rc.xml so we can say openbox knows
what size the monitor is and the problem is in the openbox routines that
decide where to park a minimized icon.  Any ideas?

Another problem:
If I set a background with xsetroot in .xsession and run openbox the
background shows ok.  If I run openbox-session instead
$HOME/.config/openbox/autostart does not run and the background is
changed to gray.

Some other questions:

What is a "docking application" as discussed in the documentation?

What is the difference between starting some applications from .xsession before starting openbox and starting them with openbox-session/autostart?

How can one copy/paste in an xterm window under openbox?  The same version of Debian with gnome on a PC allows copy/paste to xterm.  I am using Debian 6.0 on a Sun Ultra 5.

Best regards,
Fred