[openbox] Pipe-menu refresh

Ian Zimmerman itz at buug.org
Thu Feb 21 18:23:57 EST 2013

On Wed, 20 Feb 2013 15:54:32 -0800
Brian Mattern <rephorm at rephorm.com> wrote:

Brian> A few libraries that provide widgets and configuration handlers
Brian> that they would have to write themselves (that total about 3 megs
Brian> installed) is too "heavy" for you? I can understand not wanting
Brian> to pull in a full kde or gnome stack, but what's wrong with a few
Brian> smallish libraries?

For me personally, it's not the libraries - I wouldn't mind having to
install all of Gnome's libraries, I have enough disk space for that.
The problem is the daemons.  Gnome and KDE start daemons from the
libraries behind your back.  So when you start a GUI program for some
trivial task, like a calculator, even if you don't use the visual parts
of the desktop, if it's linked to the Gnome libraries it will start a
daemon.

And if "configuration handlers" includes gconfd - no thanks.