[openbox] Openbox and Wayland

Robbie Smith zoqaeski at gmail.com
Sun Feb 17 04:04:00 EST 2013

On 17/02/13 14:34, Ian Zimmerman wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Feb 2013 18:18:31 +1100
> Robbie Smith <zoqaeski at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Robbie> Now that Wayland is at 1.0, is there any information on how it
> Robbie> might integrate with existing window managers like Openbox? I
> Robbie> know that some aspects of Wayland might make WMs and DEs
> Robbie> obsolete because it’s a completely different model to X11, but I
> Robbie> like Openbox quite a lot.  The big DEs just don’t cut it for me,
> Robbie> as AFAIK they don’t allow me to have complex fine-tuned
> Robbie> configurations.
>
> Robbie> I read a while back that the primary author behind Wayland was
> Robbie> proposing that the simple (example?) compositor be developed
> Robbie> into a plugin architecture that existing window managers could
> Robbie> tap into, but this was several months ago now. Has any progress
> Robbie> on this been made?
>
> +1
>
> I would be most interested in any information along these lines, too.
> Though I figure there will be many other reasons for me to stick with X
> and resist Wayland as long as I can :-P

Wayland showed up as a dependency on my Arch system during an update the
other day, so it’s definitely on its way. Given X’s longevity I think
it’ll still be around in 10 years from now, even if only on legacy systems.

 From what I know of Wayland, it sounds like a brilliant idea. I just
don’t want to lose my custom lightweight setup: you get quite attached
to a mind-blowing number of keybindings, which I can’t replicate
anywhere else.