[openbox] Openbox and Wayland

Robbie Smith zoqaeski at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 02:18:31 EST 2013

Hey list

Now that Wayland is at 1.0, is there any information on how it might
integrate with existing window managers like Openbox? I know that some
aspects of Wayland might make WMs and DEs obsolete because it’s a
completely different model to X11, but I like Openbox quite a lot. The
big DEs just don’t cut it for me, as AFAIK they don’t allow me to have
complex fine-tuned configurations.

I read a while back that the primary author behind Wayland was proposing
that the simple (example?) compositor be developed into a plugin
architecture that existing window managers could tap into, but this was
several months ago now. Has any progress on this been made?