[openbox] debian testing oddity

General general at musically.me.uk
Sun Dec 22 10:22:57 EST 2013

On Sun, 22 Dec 2013 09:46:06 -0500
Jim Rees <rees at umich.edu> wrote:

> General wrote:
>
>   Thank you very much. That's very helpful. I wasn't aware of 'recommends'.
>   Sheesh! and I thought I knew what i was doing :)
>
> So was that the problem? I don't think debian should be adding gnome-session
> to the recommended dependencies for openbox. Many of us run openbox because
> we don't want all the bloat of the popular desktops, so sucking in all of
> gnome seems rude.

Indeed it was. Incidentally that script will no longer work as there is now an
option in  synaptic itself pre-checked to treat recommends as dependencies -
I've no idea when that was added.

I have another machine with a similar setup, and by clearing this, was able to
upgrade it without the same problems.

I agree that even recommending gnome is daft (let alone gnome3), and to
effectively completely reconfigure the desktop without warning is a big NO!

Thanks again.

Will.

--
Never start a jigsaw puzzle in a room full of people with nothing better to do!