[openbox] The state of the art in tiling with Openbox

Andrew Gallant jamslam at gmail.com
Fri Aug 30 23:15:29 EDT 2013

Author of all the various pytyle programs here.

pytyle3 was meant to be used for Openbox Multihead[1], so it won't
work correctly on regular Openbox if you have multiple monitors. (But
it will work fine with a single monitor.) Also, I considerably cut
down on the number of features in pytyle3. It doesn't come with the
ability to add space between windows or undecorate windows
automatically, although if you know some Python, it shouldn't be too
hard to add that functionality.

I agree with the rest of the responses that if you can manage to get
the various Move/GrowToEdge commands to work for you, then that would
be a great alternative. But of course, that's more of a manual style
of tiling where pytyle is meant to be automatic.

Note that all of the pytyle projects and Openbox Multihead are really
no longer maintained by me. (I need to update the READMEs to say
that.) Thus, feel free to continue using pytyle1 if it's working for
you. I've moved on and built my own WM that better suits my particular
desires for a multihead setup.

- Andrew

[1] - https://github.com/BurntSushi/openbox-multihead
- Andrew