[openbox] Exceptions to focusing new windows

Dana Jansens dana at orodu.net
Sun Aug 18 19:55:26 EDT 2013

On Sun, Aug 18, 2013 at 5:50 PM, Xyne <xyne at archlinux.ca> wrote:

> On 2013-08-18 16:35 -0400
> Dana Jansens wrote:
>
> >I've been trying to think what else we might do to solve this, what I came
> >up with at the moment is if we added more bindings to the rc.xml. We had a
> >branch with "hooks" on it to run actions when various events occured in
> the
> >WM, but it was really easy to cause infinite loops by causing an action
> >which triggered the hook again.. so it didn't go anywhere yet.
> >
> >But..
> >
> >If we had a "new window" hook, with the default action being "focus", then
> >you could replace that with an if action. It would make the <focusnew>
> >option a lot more general.
> >
> >The only threat here would be an execute action that made another new
> >window, of course. But, sometimes on does want to shoot oneself in the
> foot.
>
> That would indeed be useful. Aside from focusing, it could be used to
> manage
> layouts with tilers such as pytile or conditionally send applications to
> different screens and desktops. It could even be used to prevent multiple
> instances of an application from starting.

Well, I think this hook would only run when the window was going to get
focused by focusNew. So focus stealing prevention would prevent the hook
from running. It should really just (conditionally) focus the window or not.

But, we could explore future hooks.

Anyway, step 1:
https://github.com/danakj/openbox/commit/aa70b4e0cfbe5753fb2b3d4fef527c903953d879

Step 2 would be a hook to replace the bool in the config.