[openbox] Can't create a valid menu.xml

52midnight info at 52midnight.com
Mon Apr 29 13:11:51 EDT 2013

Hello All

I've been tryin to create a valid ~/.config/openbox/menu.xml file without
success. I've tried the popular utilities - menumaker, denu, dmenu,
genmenu, and all give the same result; a message during Xorg startup
saying:

"Unable to find a valid menu file "/root/.config/openbox/menu.xml"

Even when I cut and paste from "http://openbox.org/wiki/Help:Menus" into a
simple file the result is the same. I'm using openbox-3.5.0 in LXDE on
Gentoo with a 3.7.9 kernel.

Could someone please point out the error in the menu.xml below?

With thanks
52midnight.

<openbox_menu>

<menu id="ID" label="TITLE">
   <!-- this is a menu item, such as a program -->
   <item label="LABEL">
     <action name="Execute">
       <command>st</command>
     </action>
   </item>

   <!-- this is a menu header -->
   <separator label="La la" />

   <!-- this links to a sub menu -->
   <menu id="ID" />

   <!-- this is a small line separator -->
   <separator />

   <!-- this also links to a sub menu, which is defined inline -->
   <menu id="ID" label="TITLE">
     <item label="LABEL">
     <action name="Execute">
       <command>st</command>