[openbox] partial strut question...

Andrew Gallant jamslam at gmail.com
Mon Apr 22 18:48:58 EDT 2013

>> Have you tried running dzen with `dzen2 -dock`?
>
> It seems to have no such option.

It does, but dzen is plagued by multiple versions and undocumented
features. You might have some luck with this one:
https://github.com/robm/dzen

I'm not sure which distro you're on, but try a search for dzen. I know
Archlinux has several different versions in the AUR. (I can confirm
that `-dock` is available in this version:
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/dzen2-xft-xpm-xinerama-svn/ --- so
that might give you some threads to pull.)

>> Last time I checked, I thought `xmobar` set the `override_redirect`
>> attribute, which effectively makes it ignored by window managers.
>
> Good catch. That was it. I don't know Haskell, but I've butchered the xmobar
> code a little bit to *not* set the override_redirect attribute, and to set a
> window type, and it appears to work. OpenBox resizes things to avoid stepping
> on xmobar.
>
> Ah, and a small setback. Turning off override_redirect now means that the
> xmobar window, while properly avoided by OpenBox-managed windows going full-
> screen, is now tied to a particular virtual desktop. A recommendation is to
> set _NET_WM_STATE = _NET_WM_STATE_STICKY, _NET_WM_STATE_SKIP_TASKBAR,
> _NET_WM_STATE_SKIP_PAGER, so I'm going to see if I can figure out how to do
> that.

Yeah, you can go down that route. But those properties will need to be
set before the `xmobar` client is mapped. You could also set
`_NET_WM_DESKTOP` to `0xffffffff` as per the EWMH spec. But that would
also need to be done before the window is mapped.

You might have some luck with `devilspie` if you don't want to modify
`xmobar` directly.

Feel free to take this offline if you get stuck.

- Andrew