[openbox] Fighting Gnome

Johan Vromans jvromans at squirrel.nl
Sun Oct 14 10:06:54 EDT 2012

I hope somebody can help me with the following problem.

I'm running OpenBox on Fedora 17, using GDM + Gnome/OpenBox session.

I have two monitors, a 1600x1200 CRT (primary) and a 1024x768 LCD
(secondary), connected to an nVidia card. The two monitors are
independent (:0.0 and :0.1). The secondary monitor is switched off most
of the time.

Technically, this setup works as I want. I have been using this setup
for years. Recently I removed the proprietary nVidia driver and started
using the standard nouveau driver, since it has been much enhanced
lately. So far no problems.

When I stop working for a longer while I switch off the CRT since it
consumes a substantial amount of energy.

The problem is that when I switch on the CRT later to resume working,
the monitor size has been put back to 1024x768 and the desktop has been
rearranged accordingly. Also, the background image is restored to the
Gnome default -- one of the reasons I suspect Gnome.

I've googled and looked in system files and settings but there's nothing
I could find to help me solve this problem. I hope anyone reading this
can give me some useful suggestions.

Thanks,

-- Johan