[openbox] Losing focus

Jim Rees rees at umich.edu
Mon Nov 19 08:38:19 EST 2012

Johan Vromans wrote:

  Jim Rees <rees at umich.edu> writes:

  > This doesn't work as well as it should. There are a couple of patches that
  > help but I don't know if they cure your particular problem. Try "Allow focus
  > stealing just after launching an app" by Brian Mattern dated 13 Sep 2012.

  Thanks for the suggestion. I applied this patch but it doesn't solve the
  problems.

  BTW, an easier way to show the problematic behaviour:

   - Open an instance of firefox, move the cursor into its window if
     necessary.
     The firefox main window has keyboard focus.
   - Type Control-S. The Save dialog appears on top of the main window.
     The Save dialog now has focus.
   - Type Escape. The Save dialog disappears.
     Although the cursor is stil in the main window, this window does
     not have keyboard focus. If fact, no window has.

I have other focus problems, but your firefox test works as expected for
me. Other than the patch I mentioned, the only other one I've applied has to
do with window cycling. My focus settings are different from yours, maybe
that's the difference.

  <focus>
    <focusNew>no</focusNew>
    <followMouse>yes</followMouse>