[openbox] suspending "kills" the screen

B. Torben-Nielsen btorbennielsen at gmail.com
Sat May 19 03:58:24 EDT 2012

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is the best place to post a recent issue i encounter.

Recently I upgraded to ubuntu 12.04. Since then, closing the lid "kills"
the screen. I'm using plain openbox.

In my /etc/acpi/events/lidbtn i call the script from /etc/acpi/lid.sh,
in which i have, amongst other, pm-supend. This used to work fine. Until
after the upgrade, my screen was "killed".

The weird things:
- gksudo pm-suspend: works completely fine
- when the same command (without the gksudo) is called through the acpi,
the screen is "killed", meaning: part of the screen becomes blank, other
parts get some white noise. nothing of the original screen can be seen.
however, the computer didn't crash
- when the screen is killed, thanks to openbox, i can use the
key-binding to call "gksudo pm-supend", blindly type my password and the
computer goes into suspend. after pressing the power button or opening
and closing the lid, everything works fine again.

I thought it had to do with the pm-suspend command. so i checked some
alternatives:

- in lid.sh replacing pm-supend by "echo -n mem > /sys/power/state".
Nothing happends. computer doesn't respond at all to closing the lid.

- in lid.sh: recplace pm-suspend by "dbus-send --system --print-reply
--dest="org.freedesktop.UPower" /org/freedesktop/UPower
org.freedesktop.UPower.Suspend". which causes exactly the same effect on
my screen. Weirdly enough, if i call this command from the prompt, it
works, just as pm-suspend did.

I have been looking for a while for a solution but haven't even found
any clues... I almost got used to typing the key-binding to call
pm-suspend just before i want to close my laptop. but, this is a
workaround, not a solution...

Kind regards, Ben