[openbox] [Patch] Custom move/resize keybindings

Brian Mattern rephorm at rephorm.com
Mon May 14 13:31:50 EDT 2012

On Sun, 13 May 2012, Martin Lucina wrote:

> rephorm at rephorm.com said:
> > The attached patch adds the ability to customize move/resize 'arrow' key
> > bindings. For example, if one wants vim bindings the following works:

> How is this an improvement over and above the existing chroot support?

Using chrooted keybindings works ok for movement keys. However, for
resizing I don't think it is possible to fully reproduce with chrooted
bindings. In particular, the first direction key after starting a resize
determines along which axis to resize. (e.g Left starts a horizontal
resize). If you then press a key perpendicular (e.g Up while in
horizontal resize mode), it will switch the resize along that axis
instead.

I didn't see a way to "break chroot and start another chroot" with the
existing config.

Also, this makes keyboard moving/resizing consistent whether you start
it using a key binding or using the Move/Resize entries in the window
menu.

Finally, this is much easier than specifying a chroot with 12 bindings
for move (including shift to move-to-edge and ctrl to move-by-pixel) and
at least as many for sub-par resizing behavior.

However, if people really prefer to use the existing keybinding
approach, then i suggest removing the moveresize module from the
sourceode since it clearly duplicates functionality... <wink/>

Brian