[openbox] Using Mouse To Change Virtual Desktops

David Vogt david.vogt at adfinis-sygroup.ch
Sat Jun 30 09:25:33 EDT 2012

On 06/28/2012 08:18 PM, Frank Peters wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have been using openbox exclusively for several years and it has
> proven to be a great window manager.  (I have always had a minimalist
> approach to computing and I loathe such bloated behemoths as Gnome
> or KDE.)
>
> However, my single complaint is that with openbox it is not possible
> to change to the next virtual desktop by using the mouse pointer.
> After setting up a virtual desktop grid with the setlayout utility,
> the only quick way to change desktops is by using hotkeys.  The key
> method is quick and simple, but using the mouse pointer to scroll
> onto the adjacent desktop would be even quicker and simpler and
> also more natural.

You could also try easystroke[1]. It's a program that allows you to
configure mouse gestures to execute commands, simulate key strokes etc.
I use it to control the web browsers, and also a couple of window
management commands (maximize/unmaximize, next/prev desktop, etc.)

I don't think that it's possible with easystroke to switch desktop when
at a given position (ie. screen edge), but some other gesture should be
pretty much as easy as well :)

[1]: http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/easystroke/

Cheers,

Dave