[openbox] autostart.sh and bashrc

Ian Zimmerman itz at buug.org
Fri Jun 29 00:18:27 EDT 2012

jimmy> As a general principle, environment variables should go in
jimmy> ~/.profile or a similar file, while .bashrc is for bash-specific
jimmy> non-environment related things like setting aliases, prompts,
jimmy> shell options, etc.

jimmy> Move your environment variables (i.e. the ones you have to
jimmy> export) to .profile, keeping the syntax portable as more shells
jimmy> than just bash read it, and see if that works.

This thread went a bit off-topic, but anyway what I do is keep a
separate file ~/.environment, and source it from multiple places:

~/.profile
~/.bash_profile
~/.xsession

also, I link to it from ~/.ssh/environment which means I get the vars
even when I work remotely ...

--
Ian Zimmerman
gpg public key: 1024D/C6FF61AD