[openbox] How to make a distribution file?

Ivan Sichmann Freitas ivansichfreitas at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 08:32:46 EDT 2012

On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 07:48:44PM -0400, Jim Rees wrote:
> Is there some way I can make a tarball or other package of some kind that I
> can then use to install openbox on another system?  I tried "make dist" but
> it just made an empty tar file for me.
>
> I also tried putting a fully built source tree on the target system and
> doing "make install", which has worked for me in the past with other
> packages, but it refuses to do anything if the build prerequisites aren't
> there even if it doesn't have to build anything.

I guess you should try creating an temporary directory and then
installing in it setting the DESTDIR variable. E.g.,

$ mkdir foo
$ ./configure <options>
$ make
$ make DESTDIR=foo install

Then just pack the foo directory and unpack it in the target's root.

Remember that the configure options should match the path's in the
target system (i.e., do not use foo as part of --prefix and such). Both
gentoo's ebuilds and archlinux's pkgbuilds use this method for creation
of binary packages, you could look at them for some examples.

https://projects.archlinux.org/svntogit/community.git/tree/trunk/PKGBUILD?h=packages/openbox

--
Ivan Sichmann Freitas
GNU/Linux user #509059