[openbox] Wayland?

David Vogt david.vogt at adfinis-sygroup.ch
Fri Feb 17 12:25:52 EST 2012

Hi!

On 17/02/12 17:53, Ian Zimmerman wrote:

> It looks like X's days are numbered.  When that happens, I'd hate to be
> forced into a one size fits all window manager.

I share your concerns - it would be a shame to lose some excellent tools
like openbox :)

>  Are there any plans to
> get openbox ready for that?  I am willing to help.

I don't think that wayland is ready just yet. I attended a presentation
at FOSDEM where similar questions were raised. Not directly
openbox-related, but in general regarding window management. Currently,
it looks like this (I'm no authority on that info however!):

Window decorations will definitely be drawn by the client. There are
ideas around to make decorations work across GUI toolkits.

Handling of events like dragging windows, closing etc. will most likely
be handled by the client as well - however they are aware of problems
like non-responding clients and are discussing ideas to fix this, for
example telling Wayland which areas should close a window when clicked, etc.

They are discussing which parts of EWMH, ICCCM etc. would still be
needed in Wayland, and how to port them. Not sure on the progress there.

So, in conclusion, I think that window management will be a lot
different on Wayland than it is now on X. A lot of responsibility is
being shifted around, and it's not clear yet where every piece is going
to fit best.

-- Dave

--
Adfinis SyGroup AG
David Vogt, Software Engineer / Project Manager