[openbox] Workspace Title

Andrew Gallant jamslam at gmail.com
Sat Feb 11 00:16:33 EST 2012

I wrote something up for you [1]. If you download it and save it to a
file called 'workspace_change' and make it executable, you should be
able to change a workspace name like so:

`workspace_change CURRENT_NAME NEW_NAME`

It will search the list of current workspace names and replace
CURRENT_NAME with NEW_NAME.

Note that the reason the script is so short is that it uses my
xpybutil library for Python that hides a lot of messy X stuff. One
such feature is an implementation of the entire EWMH spec. [2] You can
find it on github. [3] You can install it with 'python2 setup.py
install', or you could download it to a directory and put that
directory in your PYTHONPATH environment variable. (If you're a
programmer, you should be able to do all kinds of cool stuff with
xpybutil very easily! For example, making all unfocused windows
transparent while the focused window is opaque---if you have a
compositor like xcompmgr or cairo-compmgr installed. [4]) My library
in turn requires xpyb, which is essentially a pure Python version of
XCB.

Finally, this *or any other method* will only work if the program
you're viewing the workspace names with listens to the corresponding
property change (_NET_DESKTOP_NAMES specifically) and updates it
appropriately.

(N.B. My directions here could be a bit skimpy, depending upon your
experience. If you need any help, please let me know. Either on this
mailing list or via personal email is fine with me.)

[1] - http://pastebin.com/pWFc31Bv
[2] - http://standards.freedesktop.org/wm-spec/wm-spec-latest.html
[3] - https://github.com/BurntSushi/xpybutil
[4] - https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=124324