[openbox] feature suggestion

Jorge Almeida jjalmeida at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 17:07:25 EDT 2011

Dana,

May I suggest a feature, in case some day you decide to make some
changes? (Not that it needs changing, but anyway...)
I noticed the --restart flag, which, if I guessed right, forces
openbox to exec into itself. As the manual says, it is useful only if
the binary on disk differs from the active one, in the case of an
upgrading. But what if something else (the environment, for example)
has changed and you want to load the changes without killing the
session? I think it would be simple to implement with a minimum of
code: trap HUP signals  to induce the openbox process into exec'ing a
certain program, say ~/.config/openbox/reload. If the session is
started from openbox-session, the program might be a symlink to
openbox-session, and so we would end up with a new openbox (with new
environment, etc) but with the same children as before. (It might need
some polishing, for example in the case of programs started from
autostart and sent to the background, that might be duplicated...)

Certainly not a priority, but interesting, I suppose.

Cheers

Jorge Almeida