[openbox] man openbox

Jorge Almeida jjalmeida at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 14:28:23 EDT 2011

On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 6:52 PM, Dana Jansens <dana at orodu.net> wrote:

> Openbox runs the command it is passed once it has set itself up as a
> Window Manager and all the proper startup stuff is complete.

So, the current version of openbox-session just sets the environment
and then execs the openbox binary, which sets itself as wm and then
executes "/usr/lib/openbox/openbox-autostart OPENBOX" or whatever is
passed to it via --startup. Is there any other "proper startup stuff "
that must be done _before_  executing openbox-autostart? Am I right to
assume that initialization stuff like xmodmap, screensaver stuff, etc
is done at the --startup phase? (I seem to remember some stuff in
autostart.sh needed a "sleep 1" to give time for ob to start. Is this
issue obsolete now?)

> In this case, we run /usr/libexec/openbox-autostart OPENBOX.  If you
> read the script, you'll see it passes this on to
> openbox-xdg-autostart, to start things that want to run in an OPENBOX
> environment.. It could be changed to include GNOME as well if you want
> to run things that want to start in a GNOME environment.
> openbox-xdg-autostart --help has more info on that.

OK, I see that the xtra arguments are just passed to openbox-xdg-autostart

Thanks.

J.A.