[openbox] Menu where nothing is selected

Alexey Korop akorop at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 02:31:07 EDT 2011

Dana Jansens wrote on 16.09.2011 07:08:
>> Alexey>       If the openbox menu called using the keyboard, and the first
>> Alexey>  item of this menu is the normal item, then the first item is
>> Alexey>  selected.

>> Alexey>       I propose to replace this strange and complex piece of very
>> Alexey>  simple:
>>
>> Alexey>               if (!mouse) menu_frame_select_next(frame);
>>
>> I disagree; I don't want to auto-open the submenu in any case.  Having a
>> deeply nested submenu suddenly sprawl across your screen is distracting.
     Why deeply? Only one level.
>> Maybe this should be controlled by a configuration item (or attribute of
>> the menu?)
>
> Considering you would have to hit a key to go into the sub menu
> anyways, I'd rather just leave it how it is.  You can still go the
> submenu with one key, but that is only if you have a hotkey.
>
> So perhaps instead we should have the right arrow open and go into the
> first submenu if nothing is selected in the menu.  Then it behaves as
> if its selected without having to display it.
     Views expressed are reasonable, but only in one case: if the first
item is a SLOW pipe menu. In all other cases (including FAST pipe menu)
the choice of the first item is convenient and safe.
     In the case of automatic selection of submenu this problem has a
very simple user level solution: do not put a slow pipe menu as first
item of the menu that may be colled using hotkey.
     However, all this has very little value and I have proposed this
patch likely to make openbox behavior more understandable. Really, I was
able to understand the cases in which the first item is selected or no
only when looked the source code.

Yours truly Alexey