[openbox] Status of dcompmgr?

Dana Jansens dana at orodu.net
Tue Sep 13 12:49:37 EDT 2011

On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 12:45 PM, Andrew Gallant <jamslam at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'd like to think there are a lot of people looking for a lightweight
>> compositor, just for some basic eye candy. xcompmgr is a mess, and
>> seems unmaintained. The only serious solution to this problem is to
>> use Xfce. Their WM's built-in comp manager is a fork of xcompmgr, and
>> it's very nice, but for people who don't want to install an entire DE,
>> it cannot be used.
>
> I'd say your best alternative is the Cairo Composite Manager [1].
> There is also Unagi [2], but I don't think it's as mature as cairo,
> but it does seem to be active.
>
> Honestly, I find xcompmgr quite suitable for simple transparency in
> daily usage. If xcompmgr started crapping out, I'd probably try Unagi
> and then move to Cairo.
>
> (I don't know the status of dcompmgr, but I'm pretty sure it's a
> modified form of xcompmgr to support menu transparency in Openbox,
> last I heard.)

I have an xcompmgr tree in my git repo that is modified and fixed some
bugs and such.  I still don't like xcompmgr personally tho..

dcompmgr is a simple Xrender and GL based compositor.  The Xrender
version works okay I think, but has few features.  The GL version
works but is super slow.

The goal has been to get a fast implementation of compositing into
Openbox but this has yet to become a reality.  There are various
branches in Openbox repo to this regard.

TL;DR I don't officially, personally plan on doing anything with
dcompmgr at this time.

- Dana