[openbox] how to get rounded borders around windows

Myra Nelson myra.nelson at hughes.net
Sun Oct 9 12:23:22 EDT 2011

On Sun, Oct 9, 2011 at 10:33, Mikael Magnusson <mikachu at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 9 October 2011 17:28, Dana Jansens <dana at orodu.net> wrote:

> are out
> >>
> >> --
> >> Thanks very much! Is this completely true? The first Fluxbox screenshot
> >> at:
> >>

> http://www.fluxbox.org/screenshots/screenshots_full/screenshot_bobbens.png
> >>
> >> has this feature. So also does (for PekWM, which to be fair to you, you
> do
> >> not mention, but in the same class of WMs perhaps) here:
> >>
> >> http://box-look.org/content/show.php/Azel-Smooth?content=78581
> >>
> >> Do these give up something by way of leaner resources that OB does not?
> >> thought they were all fairly comparable, but maybe I am wrong.
> >
> > It has nothing to do with resources, just that no one has written code to
> do
> > it.
>
> And also that rounded corners without antialiasing makes baby jesus
> cry. And antialiasing needs compositing, which takes resources :).
>
> --
> Mikael Magnusson
>

>> > That's the point of the box look style window managers (Fluxbox,
>> > Openbox, Blackbox, etc) is their style the box look. Rounded corners
are out
>> > by design.
>>
>> --
>> Thanks very much! Is this completely true? The first Fluxbox screenshot
>> at:

http://www.fluxbox.org/screenshots/screenshots_full/screenshot_bobbens.png

>> has this feature. So also does (for PekWM, which to be fair to you, you
do
>> not mention, but in the same class of WMs perhaps) here:

My apologies for not listing them all the list has the possiblity for being
too long. That is why I used etc. However the main point of my argument
seems to have been missed. How many boxes do you see with round corners?
Most boxes I've ever seen have square corners, hence the name box look. One
uses a box look WM because of it's looks and simplicity. I can't speak for
others but I don't use a computer for looks, beauty, and ambience. I use it
as a tool and like other tools, form follows function IMO. Open box is
extremely useful and functional without the bells and whistles. I laud the
developers for the KISS principle and hope they keep it up.

Myra
--
Old enough to know better and too old to care.