[openbox] Launching applications

Jorge Almeida jjalmeida at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 03:28:55 EDT 2011

On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 12:43 AM, Anthony Thyssen
<A.Thyssen at griffith.edu.au> wrote:
> On Mon, 3 Oct 2011 12:57:05 +0100
> Jorge Almeida <jjalmeida at gmail.com> wrote:
> |
> | sh -c 'wmctrl -F -a "Mutt" || urxvt -T "Mutt" -e /usr/bin/mutt '
> |
> This will also raise/focus on the application if it is already running,
> whcih is a good thing.
>
> As I said before.  It can take some time (many seconds) for an
> application to configure and setup its application window.
> Now  xrxvt is quite fast, but keystrokes are faster, and the launch
> command will typically be run in parallel (in background)
>
> During that time multiple key presses and thus multiple urxvt commands
> could have been launched which is what the user is actually requesting.
> As such some form of locking will be needed...

I think the OP just wants to start mutt from a key shortcut and not
worry about remembering whether mutt is already running, so an existing
mutt window should be raised instead of launching a new one. Of course I
may have misunderstood, and the OP knows better.

Cheers

J.A.