[openbox] Can't place an undecorated window at the bottom of the screen

Jim Rees rees at umich.edu
Thu Nov 10 19:47:24 EST 2011

Openbox 3.5.0

As far as I can tell, it's impossible to put an undecorated window at the
bottom of the screen.  You can try it like this:

    <application name="minibuf" class="Emacs">
      <decor>no</decor>
      <position force="yes">
        <x>0</x>
        <y>-1</y>
      </position>
    </application>

This should give you an undecorated window whose bottom edge is flush with
the bottom of the monitor.  Instead, there is a gap.  The gap is the same
height as a normal title bar, which makes me think openbox normally
compensates for the titlebar height when placing windows, but forgets to
remove this compensation if there is no titlebar.  If you put the decoration
back in, you get the expected result.

The result is the same if you use the screen height instead of -1.  You can
place the window higher, but as soon as you get close to the bottom, it
won't go down any more.

At least that's how it works for me.  I guess it's possible the application
is at fault, but my understanding is that the force=yes is supposed to place
the window regardless of where the application wants it.